12:10 p.m., Oct. 10, 2018. This post will be updated, so please check back.
With Hurricane Michael bearing down on the Florida coast, Best Buy continues to focus on the safety of our customers and employees. Teams from across the company are also planning for recovery in the storm’s aftermath.
Once it’s safe to go into affected areas, we have teams ready to help.
Here’s what we’re planning:
- Supporting the state’s recovery assistance centers: These centers provide Florida residents with assistance with both recovery efforts and circumstances that arise because of displacement and other negative effects from the hurricane.
- Powering up: We have a stockpile of charging units, tablets, cables and batteries ready for distribution to our nonprofit partners for use in shelters.
- Internet, entertainment at shelters: Working with nonprofit partners, we’re also poised to deploy fully functional internet cafés at shelters, where affected residents will be able to apply for aid and contact friends and family. Once long-term shelters are established, we will set up entertainment centers — complete with large-screen TVs, Blu-ray players and family friendly movies — for children to enjoy.
- Helping hands: Geek Squad Agents and Blue Shirts are prepared to help with the distribution and set up of the technology.
- Red Cross donations: Customers can donate to the Red Cross via BestBuy.com or the Best Buy mobile app. In the coming days, customers also will be able to make donations during the checkout process at our stores.
- Employee assistance: Best Buy employees in disaster-stricken areas will be eligible for financial support from the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation, established by the company’s founder, Dick Schulze.
- Donations matched: Employees who give to the Schulze fund for the benefit of their affected colleagues will have their donations matched 100 percent by Best Buy.
- Gift of time: Best Buy employees also will be able to donate paid time off to affected colleagues in disaster areas.
Best Buy continues to work with employees and communities affected by Hurricane Florence last month.
We invite customers to support recovery efforts by donating to the Red Cross.