Microsoft’s newest and most innovative operating system, Windows 11, arrives Oct. 5 — and it’s bringing you an entirely refreshed experience.
The first new operating system since Windows 10 launched in 2015, Windows 11 boasts a variety of enhanced features, including upgraded virtual desktop support, better widget accessibility and a brand-new interface.
We know a lot of questions can come when change happens with your tech, so we put together a guide with some helpful tips around Windows 11.
What is Windows 11? It’s a big deal, and here’s why.
The operating system is the heart of your laptop, managing all your software and hardware, including files, memory and connected devices. Now Windows 11 is bringing PC users all the power and security of Windows 10 but with a completely redesigned look for an even better experience.
“It is a familiar operating system for customers, in a much sleeker design,” said Bradley Dix, an expert at our store in Wesley Chapel, Florida.
Here are some new features you can expect from Windows 11:
- Built-in Android apps: Take advantage of nearly 500,000 built-in Android apps through the new Microsoft store.
- Design: The most inclusively designed operating system so far, with many improvements like new sound schemes and redesigned closed caption themes that are easier to read and customize.
- Microsoft Teams: Windows 11 is designed with the hybrid work model in mind. Microsoft Teams, a communication platform used by many businesses and schools, will now have its chat system integrated into the taskbar for a faster way to connect.
- Accessibility: Windows 11 keeps modern accessibility in mind, making sure things are easier to access rather than having to dig through the computer. The “Ease of Access” setting has been rebranded and redesigned to be easier to use.
Are you ready for Windows 11?
One of the big questions with a new operating system is, “Can my computer run the new software?”
Most Windows 10 laptops currently offered in our assortment will be able to upgrade to Windows 11 at no cost, but there are some minimum requirements needed before you make the change.
Here are a few ways to check and see if your computer can run Windows 11.
- Use the Windows Health Check app. There’s a tool available for all computers. Download and run the app, and it’ll let you know whether your computer can power Windows 11.
- Check the specs. Microsoft has a system requirement list available to view for customers. Check the specs, and if your PC has the minimum or more, you should have no problem running Windows 11.
- Bring it in to Geek Squad. Not sure how to find your computer’s specifications? We have your back. Bring in your computer to Geek Squad and have one of our agents verify whether your computer will work with Windows 11.
Need a device upgrade?
Last month, Microsoft also announced a lineup of new Surface devices that were designed for Windows 11, and they’re available just in time for the new software launch.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio: Designed to highlight the best of Windows 11, the sleek touchscreen lets you draw, sketch and take notes on the vibrant display. Run powerful applications from anywhere with all-day battery life and take your entertainment to the next level with Quad Omnisonic speakers for true cinematic sound.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 8: The first Surface Pro built on the Intel Evo platform, Surface Pro 8 combines the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet with the iconic Kickstand, detachable keyboard and larger 13-inch touchscreen.
- Microsoft Surface Go 3 10.5” Touch-Screen: The most portable Surface touchscreen 2-in-1 is perfect for your everyday tasks, homework, and play. Surface Go 3 is optimized for digital pen and touch, with a faster processor, up to 11 hours of on-the-go power and comprehensive security from Microsoft.
Click here to learn more about Windows 11 and related products on BestBuy.com.