Best Buy continues to take action to do better for the planet, our employees, customers, and the communities we serve. That’s one of the reasons we make it easy to get rid of your old tech year-round.
Our recycling and trade-in programs help our customers throughout the lifecycle of their products by keeping old tech out of landfills and giving it a second life. This is all part of how we aspire to drive forward the circular economy — a system in which nothing is wasted.
With 50 million tons of e-waste thrown away each year, we make it easy and convenient to repurpose all of your old tech. In fact, we’ve collected 2.7 billion pounds of electronics and appliances for recycling since 2009, making us the largest retail collector of e-waste in the United States.
Responsibly getting rid of e-waste
We make it easy to recycle all kinds of used tech — from cameras and cellphones to robot vacuums and speakers. Regardless of where you bought it, how old it is or who made it, you can bring your tech to any Best Buy store to have it recycled.
You can also make the most out of your old tech with our trade-in program. Simply redeem your tech by sending it in or bringing it to a participating store for a Best Buy gift card that you can use to upgrade to the latest tech.
Here’s what you should know before bringing your electronics in to your local Best Buy:
If you’re trading in your old tech:
- See if your tech has value by using our Trade-in Calculator.
- Check out our current promotions for trading in or recycling your tech at a store.
- Due to local restrictions, we do not offer our Trade-In Program at all store locations, but you can also trade in online. We’ll cover the costs for you to ship the item to us and will send an electronic Best Buy gift card for the value of your item once it is accepted.
If you’re recycling:
- Check to see what items you can recycle at your local store and what fees might be associated.
- All U.S. stores offer the in-store programs for customers to bring their old, unused or unwanted tech for recycling, but check restrictions in your state before coming in.
- After you drop off your old tech, our trusted recycling partners will wipe any remaining data from devices before determining if the product can be repaired, repurposed or recycled, but you can also wipe your hard drive before coming in. Here’s how to do it.
- If you‘re buying a major appliance or have a few items you need to recycle, take advantage of our Haul-Away services and have Geek Squad or Best Buy Home Delivery recycle it for you.
Tech recycling is just one of the many ways we’re working to protect our environment. We have a goal of reducing carbon emissions in our operations by 75% and reducing carbon emissions for our customers by 20% — all by 2030. We also signed The Climate Pledge and made a public commitment to be carbon neutral across our business by 2040, a decade faster than our previous goal of 2050.