As you upgrade your tech, chances are you’ll find yourself with some gadgets you’re not using anymore. But don’t throw anything out just yet.
Did you know that there are ways to get more out of that old tech and help the environment, too?
About 50 million tons of e-waste is thrown away each year, but Best Buy makes it easy to give your tech a second life and out of landfills. In fact, we’ve helped our customers recycle more than 2 billion pounds of electronics and appliances since 2009.
Whether you have drawers overflowing with cables or tech collecting dust, there are ways to get more out of that old tech. So, don’t throw anything out just yet, until you find out what works best for you and the planet.
Here’s a bit more info about our recycling and trade-in programs.
Responsibly getting rid of e-waste
As the nation’s largest retail collector of e-waste, our recycling program is part of our continued commitment to protect the environment and support our customers throughout the lifecycle of their products. From offering sustainable products to Geek Squad repair services that extend the life of products, it’s all part of our vision to support a circular economy where virtually nothing goes to waste.
We make it easy to recycle all kinds of used tech — from cameras and cellphones to robot vacuums and speakers. Regardless of where you bought it, how old it is or who made it, you can bring your tech to any Best Buy store to have it recycled.
You can also make the most out of your old tech with our trade-in program. Simply redeem your tech by sending it in or bringing it to a participating store for a Best Buy gift card that you can use to upgrade to the latest tech.
If you’re recycling your tech :
- Check to see what items you can recycle at your local store and what fees might be associated.
- All U.S. stores offer in-store programs for customers to bring their old, unused or unwanted tech for recycling, but check restrictions in your state before coming in.
- After you drop off your tech, our trusted recycling partners will wipe any remaining data from devices before determining if the product can be repaired, repurposed or recycled. You can also wipe your own hard drive before coming in and here’s how to do it.
- If you‘re planning on buying a major appliance, new TV or fitness equipment at Best Buy, take advantage of our haul-away program and have Geek Squad or Best Buy Home Delivery recycle it for you.
If you’re trading in your old tech:
- See if your tech has value by using our Trade-in Calculator.
- Check out our current promotions for trading in or recycling your tech.
- Due to local restrictions, we do not offer our Trade-In Program at all store locations, but you can submit for a trade-in online. We’ll cover the costs for you to ship the item to us and will send an electronic Best Buy gift card for the value of your item once it is accepted.
Tech recycling is just one of the many ways we’re working to protect our environment. We have a goal of reducing carbon emissions in our operations by 75% and reducing carbon emissions for our customers by 20% — all by 2030. Although we have a long road ahead, we’re committed to working with you to help our environment because together we can make a lasting, positive impact on the planet.