Whether you’re an amateur or professional photographer, drones can be complicated and intimidating.
Introducing the Solo™ by 3D Robotics, which will hit over 400 Best Buy stores on May 31, just in time for Father’s Day. It’s the first-ever drone powered by two integrated Linux computers, making capturing the perfect shot easy. The Solo retails for $999.
Solo can define its own flight, freeing users to focus on getting the shot. This intelligent drone is also the first to support full control of GoPro® cameras and deliver live-streaming HD video straight to mobile devices or through the controller’s HDMI port.
- Effortless flight means effortless filming—less flight control; more creative control. Solo makes flying easier than it’s ever been with smooth and authoritative GPS satellite-guided flight, which also features auto takeoff and land, return home and the ability to instantly hit an e-brake and pause your flight midair. All these features are immediately accessible through the Solo mobile app or dedicated buttons on Solo’s remote controller.
- Solo’s intelligence unlocks powerful and one-of-a-kind computer-assisted Smart Shots (patent pending). Just set up the exact shot you want in real time, then tap “play” on the app and Solo will execute it with a level of precision and a soft touch that even seasoned cinema pilots can’t match.
- Solo is the world’s first drone to wirelessly deliver HD video from your GoPro to your iOS or Android mobile device, at ranges of up to half a mile. Solo’s controller has HDMI output for live HD broadcast—to FPV goggles, high-quality field monitors, Jumbotrons at live events, even news vans.
- Even new users will be able to fly Solo with confidence. An app-based flight simulator will allow you to fly Solo virtually, before you get off the ground. And when Solo is in the air, the “pause” button acts as an emergency airbrake, stopping the copter in its tracks until you’re ready to take control again.
- With a 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9-powered Linux computer running on both the copter and the controller, Solo’s intelligence unleashes nearly limitless possibility and future expandability.
- With ergonomics inspired by popular video game controllers, the aerial photography-optimized Solo Controller feels natural even to new users. It simplifies flight and puts control of both the vehicle and the camera at your fingertips, with dedicated buttons on its face for Takeoff, Land, Return Home and Pause, in addition to two user-definable A/B buttons.
Flight time: up to 25 min without payload, or up to 20 min with GoPro and Solo Gimbal
Controller battery life of up to 4 hours; built-in rechargeable battery (8 hours with optional extended battery)
Weight: 1500 g; 1800 g with Solo Gimbal and GoPro
Autopilot: Pixhawk 2
Video latency: 180 ms
Wifi range: up to half a mile, depending on environment