Last year, Best Buy’s U.S. customers purchased more than 20 million ENERGY STAR® certified products, saving them upwards of $76 million in energy costs. That’s the carbon emission equivalent of taking 98,000 cars off the road. Seeing as October is Energy Awareness Month and chillier days aren’t far behind, here are a few tips for saving both energy and money.
- Install a programmable thermostat in your house, which allows you to adjust the temperature when you’re not home
- When shopping for a new TV or appliance, look for the ENERGY STAR mark to find the most energy-efficient products
- Wash your laundry with cold water – your clothes will be just as clean
- Replace old light bulbs with new energy-saving LEDs, which save up to $100 over the lifetime of the bulb
- Use a “smart” power strip to avoid standby power – the energy used by some products when they are turned off but still plugged into a power/wall outlet
- Disable “instant on” and “standby” modes when you are not using your gaming console
Products for your home that enable you to help manage your energy consumption, secure your home and do it all at the push of a button are available online at Connected Home on BestBuy.com,